Teeth whitening can be a very effective way of lightening the natural colour of your teeth. It involves the application of teeth whitening gel. Your dentist will help make you a customised tray that fits perfectly to your teeth and gum line, so you get safe and effective results.
At DP Dental, before you leave your dentist’s office, you will receive custom whitening trays and a take-home teeth whitening kit, which is included in the price of your treatment. This way, you can top-up for a brighter smile whenever you want to.
How do teeth get discoloured over time?
Over time, with use, our teeth can lose it’s bright white appearance. There are various reasons and causes for teeth discolouring.
To understand this better, let’s explore intrinsic and Extrinsic stains.
“Intrinsic” stains such as tobacco, coffee, tea, red wine and even fruits such as blueberries or beetroot stains on your tooth cannot be removed using scaling and polishing.
Intrinsic stains can also be caused by trauma to an immature adult tooth as the blood breaks down inside while the tooth is developing, causing the tooth to be darker than the rest.
Tetracycline – a type of antibiotics, when administered at a very young age (baby), can stay in the teeth and become greyish.
- Fluoride – when exposed to excess fluoride at a young age (first eight years of life), a brownish-white mottling appearance of teeth may appear.
- Amelogenesis and dentinogenesis – the enamel which is the outside layer and dentin which is the inner layer of the teeth are not properly formed, thus causing discolouration.
- Ageing- teeth get darker in colour as you age. As you grow older, your enamel becomes thinner due to acid in the food you eat over time. As a result, teeth become more translucent, and the yellowish inner layer, which is the dentin, becomes more visible. Hence, your teeth may seem darker.
Extrinsic stains refer to particles and pigmentations outside on your teeth’ surface that can be removed with whitening toothpaste. Scaling and polishing can also help remove these extrinsic stains.
What happens during a teeth whitening consultation at DP Dental?
When you book your appointment, inform your dentist that you’re interested in a teeth whitening treatment. You will be asked what sort of treatment you prefer. Perhaps you want quick results? Perhaps something that’s extra gentle on your teeth?
If you’re not sure, simply ask your dentist what they recommend. Your dentist will also help make you a customised tray that fits perfectly to your teeth and gum line, so you get safe and effective results.
How to whiten your teeth with our in-house whitening treatment
Your treatment starts with your dentist checking your current tooth shade, so you can both see a difference after your treatment is complete.
Once you’re ready, just sit back as your dental professionals handle the following steps:
- Your dentist preps your mouth for whitening and applies a layer of advanced teeth whitening gel to your teeth.
- To speed up the teeth whitening process, they’ll shine our WhiteSpeed blue LED teeth whitening lamp onto your teeth. This lamp accelerates the whitening, plus the lamp’s variable settings ensure you’ll get a comfortable experience.
- This process is repeated three times – and is completed in approximately 45 minutes.
- Once you’ve reached your desired shade, your dentist will apply our post-treatment gel to help protect enamel and reduce sensitivity.
Before you leave your dentist’s office, you’ll receive customised whitening trays and a take-home teeth whitening kit, which is included in the price of your treatment. This way, you can top-up for a brighter smile whenever you want to.
Why choose a take-home teeth whitening kit?
You can get whiter teeth when and where you want because our take-home teeth whitening can be administered by you.
To ensure you have a safe and comfortable experience, all our tooth whitening treatments start with a consultation with your dentist. They will prescribe the best whitening kit for your teeth and answer any questions you may have. Then you’ll be fully armed with the knowledge to safely and effectively whiten your teeth at home.
Professional results—in the comfort of your own home
Opalescence take-home whitening gel is perfect for people who want a wider option. With four different concentrations and three flavours, you can wear Opalescence for as little as 30 minutes per day—or even overnight!
Dispensed only by a licensed dental professional, Opalescence take-home whitening gel allows you to get professional whitening results at your convenience in a safe, effective, and customised way!
- Opalescence tooth whitening gel contains PF (potassium nitrate and fluoride), which helps maintain enamel’s health throughout the whitening process.
- Formulated to prevent dehydration and shade relapse
- Four concentrations for treatment flexibility
- Three flavours: regular, mint and melon
- It is suitable for day or night wear
Some home care tips:
When you’re ready to whiten your teeth, brush your teeth well to remove plaque, then complete these easy stages:
- Put a teardrop size of tooth whitening gel into each impression in your trays.
- Gently place the trays over your teeth.
- When the prescribed time for your formulation is up, take out your trays and give them an good clean with cold/cool temperature water.
- Brush your teeth and enjoy a brighter smile.
Every take-home formula is made of a unique blend of ingredients that helps protect enamel and reduces sensitivity. Just one more thing to smile about!