As parents, we want the best for our children, and that includes their oral health. Crooked teeth in children are not uncommon, and while they might seem like a minor concern, they can have far-reaching implications for their oral health and self-esteem. Early orthodontic treatment plays a crucial role in setting the stage for a lifetime of confident smiles and healthy teeth.
During childhood and adolescence, our kids’ mouths are still growing and developing. This makes it an ideal time to address any emerging issues while their jaws are more flexible. Tackling orthodontic concerns early can also avoid more serious problems down the road, like misaligned bites or crowded teeth. Early treatment can aid in improved facial symmetry and overall self-esteem.
By investing in early orthodontic care, you are not only investing in your child’s dental health but also boosting their confidence and well-being.
Invisalign for Children: Invisible Braces for Kids
When it comes to Invisalign treatment options for kids, there are primarily two types available: Invisalign First and Invisalign Teen. These options are specifically designed to cater to the unique dental needs and developmental stages of children and teenagers.
Invisalign First: Guiding Early Dental Development
Invisalign First is tailored for younger patients, typically between the ages of 6 and 10. It is a “Phase 1” treatment designed for growing children with a mix of baby and permanent teeth.
It focuses on guiding the growth of developing teeth and jaws, ensuring proper alignment as they mature. This early intervention helps address potential orthodontic issues before they become more complex.
Invisalign Teen: Designed for Growing Smiles
Invisalign Teen is specifically designed to cater to tweens and teens. It takes into account the challenges faced by teenagers, from active social lives to school activities, while providing effective orthodontic treatment.
Another distinctive aspect of Invisalign Teen is the Mandibular Advancement feature, which specifically targets overbite issues and facilitates proper development of the lower jaw.
Understanding Invisalign First: Invisible Braces for Kids
Invisalign First is an exciting breakthrough in orthodontics designed especially for kids and growing youngsters. Unlike traditional braces that use metal wires and brackets, Invisalign First employs a series of clear, removable aligners to gently guide your child’s teeth into the right positions.
These aligners are custom-made to fit your child’s mouth, making them comfortable and nearly invisible. Invisalign First can address a wide range of common dental issues in young patients, from simple alignment concerns to more complex bite problems.
Is my Child suitable for Invisalign First?
Invisalign First is tailored for children and young adolescents whose teeth and jaws are still growing and developing. The target age group typically falls within the range of 6 to 10 years old.
This early stage of dental development provides an excellent opportunity to address orthodontic concerns before they become more complicated. In cases where there are issues with crowding, spacing, or bite alignment, Invisalign First can be an effective solution to guide teeth into healthier positions.
The Advantages of Invisalign First Over Traditional Braces for Kids
- Aesthetics and Confidence: Invisalign First aligners are virtually invisible, allowing kids to smile, speak, and interact with confidence, without the self-consciousness that sometimes comes with visible braces.
- Comfort: The aligners are made from a smooth, comfortable material, reducing the chances of irritation or discomfort often associated with traditional braces’ metal components.
- Removable: Invisalign First aligners are fully removable, enabling kids to enjoy their favourite foods without restrictions. Additionally, maintaining good oral hygiene is simpler, as kids can easily brush and floss their teeth without navigating around brackets and wires.
- Predictable Progress: Invisalign First treatment plans are developed using advanced digital technology, providing a clear roadmap of how your child’s smile will transform over time. This predictability can be reassuring for both parents and kids.
- Fewer Office Visits: While regular check-ins with the orthodontist are important, Invisalign First generally requires fewer office visits for adjustments compared to traditional braces.
Invisalign First Treatment Process
Step 1: Initial Consultation and Assessment
- Our dentist will conduct an initial consultation to thoroughly assess your child’s oral health and determine their eligibility for Invisalign First treatment.
- During this visit, we will also gather essential dental records, including:
- X-rays of teeth and jaws: These images provide a comprehensive view of dental structures, aiding in the treatment planning process.
- Photos of facial profile and smile: Capturing these images helps us understand the unique aspects of your child’s smile and face, contributing to a tailored treatment approach.
- Intraoral digital scan of your child’s teeth: This advanced scan creates a precise digital model of your child’s teeth, facilitating accurate treatment planning.
- Based on the oral analysis and dental records collected, our experienced dentist will create a comprehensive treatment plan tailored to your child’s specific needs and circumstances.
Step 2: Aligner Fabrication
- Once you’ve approved the treatment plan, we will forward it to Align Technologies, where the production of your Invisalign clear aligners will commence.
Step 3: Receiving the Aligners
- Your child is provided with their first set of aligners.
- These aligners are custom-made to fit your child’s teeth snugly.
- Our friendly dentist will teach your child how to wear the aligners and how to take care of it.
- Your child will need to wear their Invisalign aligners for 20-22 hours a day throughout the Invisalign treatment.
- These aligners are only to be removed when eating, flossing or brushing.
Step 4: Gradual Shifts
- Every 1 to 2 weeks, your child progresses to the next set of aligners.
- Each aligner is a calculated step in their smile transformation.
- Shifts are gradual, minimising discomfort and allowing teeth to adapt.
Step 5: Monitoring Progress
- You will be required to bring your child for follow-up appointments every 6 – 8 weeks.
- During each visit, our dentist will track and monitor your child’s progress on the Invisalign First system and make adjustments to the treatment plan if needed.
- You also have the option to choose Dental Monitoring, which enhances the Invisalign experience by reducing the number of follow-up appointments. This technology enables our dentists to remotely track your child’s progress with Invisalign First.
Step 6: Completion and Maintenance
- At the end of the treatment, our dentist will take an additional intraoral scan of your child’s teeth, to fabricate retainers.
- Wearing retainers is crucial to maintaining treatment results. Regular retainer wear prevents the possibility of relapse and ensures lasting outcomes.
Do you have more questions about Invisalign? Watch our experts at DP Dental answer your frequently asked questions on Invisalign!
Why Invisalign First @ DP Dental
At DP Dental, we specialise in providing Invisalign First, which are specifically designed invisible braces for kids. Our dentists are fully accredited to provide Invisalign treatment.
We are committed to preserving your child’s natural teeth. Our approach is extraction-free, and goes beyond just teeth. We take into account your child’s oral posture and habits. In fact, we integrate myofunctional exercises into the Invisalign First treatment to ensure proper oral habits such as nasal breathing and correct tongue posture.
In 2023, DP Dental was honoured as an Invisalign Diamond Provider for the second time in a row. Our founder, Dr Yue Weng Cheu, received a Personal Lifetime Achievement Award from Invisalign for his contributions.
To embark on this journey for your child’s confident smile and improved well-being, connect with us at (+65) 6282 0122 or via WhatsApp at (+65) 9012 8562.